Thursday, 10 July 2014

Part 23:The great neg conundrum! ...and other stories.

The most bizarre thing happened today, I had just gotten off the bus and had run into a school friend who I hadn't seen in a gazillion years. Pretty standard stuff. A guy in his forties or fifties approached us and interrupted our conversation to say I was looking flash (and I was with my suit, bright green tie and sunglasses), I replied thank you, he then said he thought I would look better if I lost some weight... I pleasantly told him I had lost twenty Kgs, he was impressed and said that he was sorry to say that he thought I would look better if I lost some weight. I introduced myself, shook his hand, he told me I was a nice guy and then he departed.

How would you respond to that? I was positive and polite, should I have been more confrontational? Was that a nice thing or hugely rude? It was maybe a bit embarrassing that it happened in front of someone I didn't know very well and was quite awkward for her. Personally though... I'm used to it, but should I be?

Would you approach someone on the street and tell them they look pretty, but they should cut their hair? I don't think you would. People don't normally entitled to comment on strangers physical appearance and you know what... they damn well shouldn't. Its not ok. I seem to have the strangest encounters with strangers. Oh well.

In other news, true to my word after admitting I need mental help to combat my addiction I have approached two places to help figure out why I have got to this place in my life, once I understand that I think I will be able to feel confident that if I lose the weight I can keep it off too. I also hope I can get a bit of guidance to steer me back on a path I recognize because I am feeling a little lost lately.

I have been sick for the last couple of days with a fever and swollen leg, being delirious is not fun. I have experienced these symptoms recurring since I was eighteen and I felt them coming on as I walked to the gym to see my trainer. It would have been really easy to turn around and go home to toss the towel in and call quits but I went to the gym and did it. I was impressed with myself. Its amazing when you realise you can still surprise yourself. After the gym I spent the next day shivering and shaking from the fever. Worth it. Theres is this little part of me that is resilient and wants to be happy and healthy... I'm putting my money on him.

Eli Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment