Thursday, 14 August 2014

Part 26:Rationalizing exercise

When I was a kid I was the type to sit and read while all the other kids ran around playing games or adventuring, little did I know I was beginning lifelong habits which were unhealthy. As I grew up I remained very much a quiet and not very energetic boy. Having to break these habits in my adult life isn't easy especially finding exercise hard and sometimes painful.

Weirdly enough its little tiny things that make working out easier for someone that has historically hated all physical activity, I have found music to be an amazing game changer for me, When I'm at the gym and I'm listening to a great playlist I work harder and am more inclined to stay on a machine because the beautiful howling of my favorite band eggs me on. I would go nowhere without music. It is the very lifeblood of my workout. If you are having trouble find a artist that makes you want to dance and you are heading in the right direction.

I have also found out I'm not like my mother who can go for a walk for noooooo reason what so ever, I am much more determined to get out and about for something I can kid myself into thinking is something that needs to be done, such as buying a singular item from somewhere or picking something up for a flatmate. That way it seems like something that isn't completely pointless and I have achieved something however tiny.

When I was about twenty I started going for walks to the beach to pick up a single shell each time, that way I had a small collection of shells at home to reflect my progress. I found it helped to have a representation of the effort I had put in, especially on the days I could see no physical change I always had my little shell collection.

To me exercise was always a chore so when you can combine your interests with exercise you have created something awesome. For some people its rollerblading, for others its mountain climbing... but for me anything that has a historical combat element appeals to me. I think its my nerdery shining through but things like sword fghting, archery and yes even sumo wrestling appeal to me. If I am enjoying it I can pretend it isn't hard and stick it out when I really want to collapse on the floor!

This is what works for me, but maybe that's because I'm a tad bit loopy! Its vital I learn to like exercise and I know as it gets easier and easier it will be sooooo much more pleasant. Until then I just have to keep at it!

Eli Nelson

PS: I made it through to the next stage for the documentary on bullying, later on this month I'm going to be filmed for it which is very awesome!!! I also plan to write a little more on the subject beforehand so yeah! That's pretty awesome!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment