I recently escaped to the little town of Carterton to spend most of the week with my Grandparents. This was an attempt to start eating healthier portion sizes and to make sure I was away from temptation. All in all I consider the venture a success, I didn't smuggle junk food to Carterton, nor did I purchase or consume anything I wasn't directed to. For the first couple of days of my holiday I had one recurring thought, Damn... I'm hungry.
It wasn't that I hadn't had food, I had plenty of food. It was more that my addiction wasn't being met in the same way I'm used to, I wasn't getting enough sugar or enough carbs or so on. I didn't feel that bad, it wasn't like I'd kill for a pie or anything... however my eyes did lovingly linger over a can of Doctor Pepper at one point (Vile stuff anyway, tastes like fizzy toothpaste!).
After a most of the week in Carterton and immediately fell ill, leaving me with the prospect of missing out on an awesome event I was keen to go to or going and being delirious. So I went and managed to enjoy myself anyway. Being ill meant that exercise wasn't going to happen (At least not in any major fashion) so I have been dreading "weigh day" this week (It's like the evil version of pay day).
Heading to the gym this morning I walked past a group of school kids about 5 or 6. One of them said to the teacher with them, "Wow that man has a big fat tummy". I laughed my head off but was further discouraged about what the scales might read when I got to the gym. Imagine my surprise when the scales informed me that I had lost another 3 kgs. I declared at that point that I like this particular set of scales.
Something else weird happened a couple of weeks ago. I was walking through a carpark when someone yelled out to me from a parked car. I didn't hear what was yelled and didn't see who it was so my first reaction as it has always been from high school is to tense up, scowl and make myself ready to endure. Embarrassingly I realized it was two of my friends that I had been with earlier that day and went over to say hi. They had noticed my reaction and said "What the hell was that?", Sheepishly I had to explain the reality of being in public and looking different. Normally attention in public places is the last thing I want.
I think that will be a nice thing to change as I lose weight, I hope at least that I will feel more comfortable in public places. I guess it will be good to find out!
Eli Moon
Good job Eli , you are doing amazing already !!
ReplyDelete