Thursday, 1 May 2014

Part 11:Encounters of the awkward kind

Weird encounter today, I was in one of those places where you buy food... oh yes a supermarket, I was shopping with a friend for groceries when I wandered off from her to find something, when I came back I found her talking to a complete stranger about the weirdest topic... me.

It turns out that this lady had followed us into the supermarket and noticed my legs (sadly no not in that way). Since I was eighteen I have suffered from severe leg infections and cellulitis which has discolored part of my skin. ouch! The reason she decided to talk to us is because she had personal experience with diabetes. She had just finished telling my friend this when I returned.

I know what she was trying to do, I even appreciate what she was trying to do but what she ended up doing was turning a nice morning out into an opportunity to feel different and damn it I have enough of those. It wasn't just me that was mortified and embarrassed my friend was also shocked, I am so glad my friend knew me so well and we got the hell out of there so bloody fast.

I get this kind of thing a fair amount, Most of the time its people trying to help sometimes its people wanting to talk absolute rubbish but it all hurts no matter how positive the spin on it. I don't care about the situation you just don't randomly approach a stranger and assume you know what they are going through. I'm not saying I haven't thought about it, dear god I have wanted to tell every chubby kid the road they might have ahead of them, to do anything to help them but it just isn't ok to meddle.

The experience today left me feeling something to be gawked at, It made me double check through my groceries for anything unhealthy and if I'd found anything I would have put it back out of shame. How can strangers have such an effect on us, I don't know these people and hopefully I'll never see them again. I look forward to the day I can pass myself off as normal.

Eli Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment