Monday, 7 April 2014

Part 3:Healthy?

Healthy? If I had a Kg for every time someone told me to eat healthy i'd weigh twice as much as I do. Healthy? Whats healthy? apples right? Apples are great (mystical doctor repelling and all), But they have sugar in them, natural sugar for sure but all the same sugar. I get it you are thinking ok that is one thing, big deal. But carrots have carbs! shit carbs! those terrible things. Well I found out that the only energy our brain can use is from carbohydrates. We are also told that fasting is bad for the body, yet several diets recommend it. 

I recently met someone who referred to carbs as not allowed for them because of their diet but I was allowed them, because I hadn't decided on that particular diet... surely carbs are either good or bad or ok, labeling them won't change their properties. By this point you are bored right? my bad I'll cut to my point. Healthy is a point of view. There is no ONE diet, theres millions. Which one is right for me? 


it's a slightly less appealing choice than which ice cream flavor to buy at the supermarket, so too often I said fuck that picked up my cookies and cream and went to pay at the counter. Problem was I paid with more than cash, every time I picked up my ice cream I travelled further and further away from being able to do anything I wanted to do. You know the saddest part, I began to convince myself that I didn't want to do any of the things I couldn't do anyway. I allowed myself to think that I was ok with not being able to fit in a kayak, sit in that flimsy looking chair, or walk a normal distance to go shopping. Well something had to stop. To fix this pattern I had to stop buying ice cream, I have stopped buying it but I'm still paying for, I had to figure out my version of healthy... This is in progress. My mindset is changing, I'm beginning to like my coffee black, I brought fruit and veges this week and none of the crap that normally seduces its way into my trolley. I am proud of myself for having the strength to resist, not all the time mind you, CUSTARD SQUARES haunt me daily!!! But mostly I'm good and I feel better for it. Thanks for your support,


Eli Nelson

193ish Kgs .

2 comments:

  1. It's a minefield Eli! My favorite food is avocado which is full of 'good fats'...oxymoron?! Just find yourself a dieting philosophy that resonates with you and stick with it...and try to think of it as calories in vs energy out. Carbs/proteins etc doesn't matter too much at this stage, but carbs are higher in calories so avoid them like the bubonic plague and bulk up on delicious things like green vegetables. (My favourite low cal lunch is steamed spinach with chilli sauce and a softly poached egg - easy, quick, filling and delicious, plus the egg yolk feels like a real treat because of it's creamy texture, don't even miss the toast now) Please can we have some pics on the blog, you, your meals, your exercise regime? It will help when you turn this blog into a best selling diet book one day...Love you heaps xox Bec

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool Eli, good to see another post! "Diet" is confusing huh. A life where nobody ever ate a custard square now and then would be sad. xxxooo

    ReplyDelete