I got you with the title didn't I, the men read breasts and were hooked... stay tuned to be disappointed.
It is far from my intention to go to a dark place with this entry, but unfortunately for many people this is a dark place indeed... School. I'm going to start with KIDS CAN BE CRUEL, I'm sure everyone has had some kind of bullying at school and If they weren't bullied then I pity them a little, because it instills great qualities in the bullied. Understanding kids can be cruel I'd like to say I don't bear any anger towards the people who gave me a hard time at school, but my inner child is hungry to speak (and he's a big lad.)
I started getting bigger at three, and looking back I was a chubby little boy but you wouldn't be placing bets on me for Sumo wrestling any time around then, I was quite cute with the one chin but sadly I was to gain more. By the time I was ten I was the biggest kid at my school (I ate the smaller ones and lived under a bridge... True story) and I had established a bad name with my teachers (not for stealing lunchs! That's a horrible conclusion to jump to. god even the word jump makes me exhausted), I was a bit of a scrapper and I wasn't easily deterred. Now I know what you are thinking, "but Eli you are so lovely and wise and charming! why oh why would you fight?" Shut up and I'll tell you.
I fought kids because they teased me, I fought some of the ones that were stupid enough to fight. I was a big kid and before puberty weight counts for alot when the boy you are fighting looks like a stiff breeze would snap him! Fighting was me trying to get them to stop, I doubt I could have debated with them so I used my fists, It never worked... worse it got me in alot of trouble, I have been stood down, suspended and threatened by a principal with boarding school (My mum told him where to put that idea). Finally I did some anger management... and I pretended that worked. I stopped fighting back, I took the insults and let it build up, hoping one day to figure out where to put this anger. I'm still looking.
When I was about fourteen, there was a boy at my school who was sixteen and built like a rugby player, He used to walk past and grab my chest, because weight unfortunately doesn't understand that's the worst place it could go for a man. It wasn't anything weird, he just wanted to torment me, he'd call me names... some of the worst I have ever had. He would make me miserable. This carried on till the point where I could no longer stand the humiliation, I wasn't angry I'd just had enough that I reached a point that I broke. Now when I was an angry little kid I had two modes of breakdown, I'd either get sad or I'd get angry, this time was different. With the cold determination of a victim that was finished with their ordeal I stood up to him in a short but eventful fistfight, I got that bastard on the ground, he made my nose click for a month whenever I touched it. That was it. I certainly didn't win that fight, but I didn't lose. He never teased me again.
I ran into the guy a couple of years ago he was very happy to see me, he told me what he'd been up to and talked to me like I was an old friend, I think I gained his respect by standing up for myself. Bizarre... I certainly don't advocate fighting to solve problems but it seemed to solve this one.
School is a hard place for many people and lots will have had worse experiences than me, I wish I could say that I enjoyed school, I felt uncomfortable in uniforms limited by size, I was bullied, I got into fights, I missed out on alot of the physical activities and clubs... but you know what? a rough stone in a raging river becomes smooth.
Eli Nelson
193 Kgs
well you sure learned how to write!
ReplyDeleteHaha ..I did tell that principal where to get off. You have a good point about the stone. It's good to have a few knocks in life. It makes you real. And kinder. xx
ReplyDeleteLoving your writing, Eli! Thank you for letting us watch, learn, and root for you!
ReplyDeleteThanks it is quite an adventure!
DeleteYou have always had an awesome personality an wow what a great writer. A great mix of emotions an beautiful words... I'm loving your blog keep up the hard work! You have heaps of love and support an more to come I'm sure!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you Eli for sharing, keep on blogging loving to get to know what you are experiencing. Hugs from me to you xxx
ReplyDeleteI just watched this and it made me think of your post here. https://www.upworthy.com/bullies-called-him-pork-chop-he-took-that-pain-with-him-and-then-cooked-it-into?c=ufb2
ReplyDelete