Saturday, 17 May 2014

Part 14: I can't believe its not butter.

Supermarket shopping was once a highlight of my week when I was a fat guy unrestricted by the constraints of healthy eating, a time filled with a variety of sugar and salts and carbs packaged in a dazzling variety of wrappings that all unwrap into the same thing... obesity. So now that I'm trying to be conscious of my decisions and work on my health I'm finding shopping to be difficult for a variety of reasons...

Reason number one is that junk food is so much cheaper!!! bottled water vs soft drink is terrible, cheap fatty meat like sausages and mince costs almost nothing compared to a healthy cut of meat. Fruit is expensive compared to other snack items  and veges are a costly investment... so you may understand that the temptation to just throw my hands in the air and stomp off to the confectionery aisle threatens to take over. Resistance is useless! buy the junk food! Argh... Sorry about that it is rather difficult to resist though and it only takes that one moment to put an item you really don't need into your trolley and you are mentally eating it already... its won.

I saw something that made me laugh, a lite cream cheese while being the same price as regular cream cheese of the same brand contained less contents that the unhealthy one, its like its daring you to choose to be healthy... now I was going to say "how do you like them apples" but unfortunately the apples were to expensive for me to buy any for this quote.

Reason number two would have to be the horrible (read junk food) specials, its always biscuits or chocolate, lollies or ice cream! it doesn't often seem like veges or fruit get a discount. it Is really hard trying to be good and feeling ripped off for your healthy decisions, investing in my body's well being is expensive it seems. Healthy specials would rock and leave me feeling much richer after my weekly shops but it seems not to be! I know its a shame that money doesn't grow on trees but I was rather certain alot of healthy stuff did!

If it wasn't already hard to be good $2 blocks of chocolate specials are a nightmare on your willpower... if you let them be, there is this strange little boost of power you feel every time you walk on past every bakery, fish and chip shop and chocolate bar, its little but my god it adds up, refusing junk food makes me feel much better than eating it. 

The only good thing I can take from supermarkets is that they are the best test for someone with an addiction like me, I know I can't ignore the existence of junk food, it will always be there and I won't overcome my addiction in a vacuum, I need to go out and ignore all the wailing advertisements and the cost of being healthy. By doing this I will be more powerful for it. Onwards and upwards I guess! Huzzah!

Eli Nelson
180ish Kgs.

6 comments:

  1. The offer of a garden build is still open .. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll help with a garden build. You can have one of my basil plants if they go well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try going to a market? Im not sure of any in your area but I go to one every week and get fresh local produce (not an advertisement) for just a fraction of the price. Markets often have stalls selling free range eggs and meats too. And i love the idea of your own vege garden - mine failed miserably... but the markets are good! Keep up the awesome work Eli xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sucks how much fruit and veg costs... but it's because junk food sells. That and they're essentials so screw it, why not make them too expensive?

    ReplyDelete