Sunday, 9 February 2020

Part 10: Get busy Levin and get busy dying

Over the weekend I participated in a big medieval event up in Levin, I had opted not to fight this year as I was injured pretty badly last year and it impacted on my ability to walk for weeks. I decided that being on such a roll with swimming that it was better to not risk that again. So I basically squired for my club, helped people put or or take off armour and took note on how the other clubs were fighting.

The sun was hidden behind clouds so our noble knights or fearsome vikings only had human enemies this time, rather than the ridiculous heat we have faced other years. Our group fought well and hard and It was a good time. I had a surprise visitor show up too, My nephew's Granny had brought him up to see me without me having any forewarning! It was fantastic to get to introduce the little guy to the medieval world, he wanted to pick up all the weapons and fight anyone he could... in a few years we might make a viking out of him!

The event was cut short however. The reason I have been concentrating on swimming rather than any dryland activities is because it does very little damage to my body and reduces the risk of a flare up of a illness I have had for some time. Unfortunately even squiring was too much for me it seems on this particular day and before I knew it I had begun to feel the telltale pain that the world was going to get very, very uncomfortable.

Cut to, 15 minutes later and I'm wrapped in two blankets to offset the shaking fever talking to a paramedic named Bryan who like me doesn't have the right drugs on hand. Facing down an hour and a half drive home while sitting on a leg that's increased twice in size and having to have the heat in the car cranked up to a normally unbearable temperature just so my teeth don't chatter from the pseudo cold my brain is trying to tell me I'm feeling. Not my ideal day out at the fair.

I'm doing slightly better, the horrid fever has passed and I am now just light headed, dizzy, swollen and sore. I'm really wanting my body to hurry up and heal so I can get back to swimming and continue this journey... but at the moment I can't walk to the end of the driveway without agony so I think I'm going to take the next couple of days off. My resolve is still strong and I'm going to be aquatic again real soon.

It has made me address the fact that I might be too broken for medieval reenactment for a while and that is a hard decision I am going to have to make. I love it and I love the community but I'm feeling like I'm not pulling my weight and there is a considerable amount of that! I'm just disappointed that I am not where I was previously, hopefully swimming helps but that is going to be a long road.

MoonLite

No comments:

Post a Comment