Saturday, 1 February 2020

Part 7: Poseidon Complex

Today was a weird one, it was so full of ups and downs. It started off with such good intentions. Each Saturday I have work, which I normally am exhausted afterwards and return home sluggish to crash. I decided to try change that today and I packed my swimming gear and some fruit to get through the day. The goal was not necessarily to swim but at least be in a place after work where I could make that decision. I deprived myself of that lazy excuse that I would have to return home first.

It worked and I ended up clocking up four hours in the water before the pool shut. The first hour was really nice, my friend who is a support worker was there and his charge was a cool little dude who immediately took to me and enjoyed dunking under the water together. It was pretty awesome to hang out and be a part of that.

Some very rude people tried to insist that my support worker friend swim with his charge in a certain manner to "Better stay out of their way". I normally shrug this sort of thing off and do my best to ignore people and I returned to my swimming until my friend and his charge left. When almost immediately the same sort of thing happened again with two different people trying to kick another kid out of the pool because he "didn't have a disability". When I asked the two adults if they knew that they said that he "didn't look like he had one and they can tell"... I paused, it was a long pause and I responded that "They don't get to make that judgement". I was so angry, I was angry thinking about all the people with invisible disabilities thrown upon the judgement of two horrid entitled swimmers. 

The day got better, but not too quickly. I must admit to angrily doing weights for about an hour and a half afterwards. After a while I ended up running into Josh again who is that much closer to his hopeful freedom and then ended up meeting the "Court of Keto". A bizarre experience where three individually swimming Keto success stories converged to one conversation and informed me more about this intriguing diet. One gentleman had lost upwards of 150 Kgs in one year which was awesomely impressive. I don't think its for me yet but it never hurts to have another arrow in your quiver.

I ended up leaving the pool a bit heavier today rather than lighter. It was a pretty heavy day and I was searching for a more compassionate ocean than the one I had left. I didn't have to look far, my phone ended up being super out of battery and I was a bit stranded. I was a fairly frustrated having expended all of my energy in the water I hadn't saved any for a walk to the damn car park let alone all the way home. A kind dude I had met swimming offered me a lift home and helped end my day with a nice moment, might have even met a new swimming buddy. I'm going to try focus on the positive and press onwards.

MoonLite

No comments:

Post a Comment