Can't believe I need to address this but... ah... some people out there are pretty inappropriate. Over the course of being a fat person I am constantly approached by people who I do not know who offer me advice or their opinion on my situation.
I'm not talking about kid's comments, which are almost a given when I emerge from my watery cave. Hearing a kid yesterday say "Bye bye fat man" to me in a cafe yesterday filled me with an amusing joy, the innocent knee jerk reaction to what we see as a child is so natural and innocent. That is just what kids do.
When an adult however approaches another one and proceeds to tell them how to run their life with no actual insight to the factors that make up said life is just too much. I have had the same person approach me five times over as many years to tell me about the wonders of broccoli... I mean... I can read a damn food pyramid. I know what is good for me and I know what is rubbish, it wasn't ignorance that kept me down for so long... it was apathy and nothing in your regurgitated cookbook advice is going to break through to someone in a state of self loathing and despair. The most you might achieve is making me regret going outside today.
I think the worst comments I have had are on my scars, which admittedly are quite great damn scars. I'm not going to hide them from the world and I am dismayed that I live in a world where I have been asked to leave an establishment because of them.
While I am super grateful for advice from people I have actually in my life or people that read this blog the last thing I need is to be reminded abruptly by strangers of what society considers wrong with me. I'm a beautiful narwhal and if you don't like that I'll stab you with my horn! I'm seriously unapologetic about my existence and will defend my place in this universe using my quick wit and gravitational pull.
I guess that the point I want to make is that if you ever feel like its appropriate to offer life advice to a complete stranger... you should consider how this might make the stranger feel.
Sorry for the rant, people have been pretty bad lately.
Moonlite
No comments:
Post a Comment